SaveLIFE Foundation (SLF) is an innovative non-profit, non-governmental organization focused on improving road safety and emergency care across India through high-impact and strategic interventions at the policy as well as grassroots level.
With support from organizations such as Bloomberg Philanthropies, World Bank, WHO, Global Road Safety Partnership, Harvard Medical School, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Bharti Enterprises, Mahindra and Mahindra, and Religare Healthfore, SLF is creating high impact solutions that help to save hundreds of lives every year. To achieve its objectives, SLF operates in two broad areas,
- 1. ACCIDENT PREVENTION
- 2. POST-ACCIDENT RESPONSE
In both of the above areas, SLF’s model includes Policy Advocacy, Strategic Public Interest Litigation and On-ground Interventions.
Initiatives in Accident Prevention
1. Advocating for a comprehensive National Road Safety Law and Lead Agency at both the Central and State levels for the required multi-sectoral coordination
2. Litigating in the Supreme Court of India to address deaths and injuries caused by trucks carrying protruding rods
3. Expanding the Anticipatory Driving and Accident Prevention Training (ADAPT) program targeting high-risk commercial drivers – The program is conducted over 4 hours and uses blended learning techniques to reinforce 5 – 6 key strategies for accident prevention. This is a travelling program and can be conducted by SLF anywhere in the country.
Initiatives in Post-Accident Response
1. Advocating for a Good Samaritan Law for India to enable bystanders to come forward and assist injured persons without fear of danger, harassment or intimidation
2. Litigating in the Supreme Court of India to mandate a comprehensive nationwide framework for trauma care for injured persons
3. Training Police personnel and citizen volunteers to become medical first responders to road accident victims – The program is conducted over 4 hours and covers 3 main techniques to save a critically injured victim’s life. The module is 80% practical and 20% theoretical with a mandatory refresher after 3 months. This is a travelling program and can be conducted by SLF anywhere in the country.